Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Cleaning with Thieves

So working in a green house means you might have to deal with tons of dust, bugs, spiders, and mice.
This spring, as I was cleaning out all the amendment cupboards, I found loads of mouse crap. Now I don't know about you, but I've always been scared to death of mouse droppings.. Ever since I was little, I always imagined accidentally breathing one little diseased particle in my lungs and thus dying a slow and painful death. 
So I've always been very careful around it. My family has always uses bleach or rubbing alcohol to clean up iffy things like  that; however, working in an organic greenhouse poses a different set of rules. One being: no chemicals. 
Instead of any of those harsh chemicals, I used a natural cleaner made from Thieves Vinegar. 
Thieves is a concoction of vinegar infused with herbs, spices or garlic that was believed to protect users from the plague. (Read more about it here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thieves_oil) 

It's also known to clean and purify the air, so some boil a little water containing it while there is sickness in the house. 

So all this to say, that's how I cleaned up the mouse droppings. Although I'm a bleach kind of gal, I felt very confident in using this natural substance. And thieves smells sweet of cinnamon and other spices, too. Which is pleasant to work around. :) 

-h. 


No comments:

Post a Comment